Wednesday, June 17, 2009
3 steps forward and one step back
Mitchell didn't have a great night. He was struggling to breathe with the nasal cannula all day long yesterday. They moved him back to CPAP finally at midnight last night. (helps him breathe through prongs that go down his nose) This is was he was on the first 12 hours of life and had to be intubated soon thereafter.
Good things: He's eating 46 cc's every 3 hours so he doesn't need an IV!
He doesn't have a tube down his throat causing inflammation, mucus, and as much support.
Things we hear daily from the doctors and nurses (that we now laugh about)
1. Patience, Patience, Patience.
2. Don't watch the monitor. (you'll drive yourself crazy)
3. We are good babysitters. (we give him what he needs and take what he doesn't)
4. You can never trust a baby. (just as soon as you're making progress he'll change his mind)
5. It's time to take away the ducky. (we have to push him all the time)
6. Every baby's different. We don't know how long he'll be here.
7. Don't get caught up on the numbers. (there are too many variables in the equation)
8. It took me 13 years to learn all this, you can't learn it in 13 minutes.
9. Mitchell's the boss. He tells us what he needs.
10. We push him, he pushes back. (he has a breaking point)